Close to you

My first con!

This clip comes from what has to be one of the most wonderful experiences of my life so far: that week in NJ/NYC last July. I could just talk forever about it! But don't worry... I'm going straight to friday night and the song.

Earlier friday morning, when Rosemarie asked me if I was going to sing that evening at the talent show, I said of course I would. But later as I was getting my dress ready, I realised I forgot to pack the CD containing the couple of background tracks for the songs I wanted to sing! That was so disappointing, I was really looking forward to it.

I should have known I could count on Amber's excess of energy and excitement: as it happened, she had brought two or three songs for me too, just in case! I can't even remember how we picked Close to you... maybe because it was the only one from her selection I had tried before, and since I wasn't planning to waste precious time with my friends in rehearsals, I just went with what was familiar.

It's funny how so many things can flash through your mind in a very little time, and yet, you can make perfect sense of them all. That's what happened as the music started: I thought of Je, broadcasting for Lynn and I from LA the previous year and telling me they had played the video with my song... And Chan, saying they had even have a guy in the roof trying to get the internet connection to work in the conference room so I could hear... Well, I thought of how all of that had seemed so far away, so to speak, and yet here I was now. Anyway, you would have thought after so many performances I'd be calmer, less nervous, but I was a mess! It was so good to realise everyone seemed to really like it!

Well, I got to check the lists' messages next wednesday, while Amber and I stayed at Zanna's house in Baltimore (on our way to VA). I just couldn't believe it when I found JE's first uploaded con video was this one, I didn't know she'd made it! (Here's the mp3 version). I suppose it's only too appropriate that she and Amber, of all people, would help me build and keep this bit of memory this close. But again... that's another story!

2 comments:

  1. Vicky can you post the recording you did of "I can't cry hard enough"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops, I forgot! I meant to do it days ago... If not today, I'll do it tomorrow for sure, Cyndi.

    ReplyDelete