Sonnets from the Portuguese XXIX

by Elizabeth Barrett Browning



I think of thee!---my thoughts do twine and bud
About thee, as wild vines, about a tree,
Put out broad leaves, and soon there's nought to see
Except the straggling green which hides the wood.
Yet, O my palm-tree, be it understood
I will not have my thoughts instead of thee
Who art dearer, better! Rather, instantly
Renew thy presence; as a strong tree should,
Rustle thy boughs and set thy trunk all bare,
And let these bands of greenery which insphere thee
Drop heavily down,---burst, shattered, everywhere!
Because, in this deep joy to see and hear thee
And breathe within thy shadow a new air,
I do not think of thee---I am too near thee

5 comments:

  1. Another beautiful poem, Vicky - thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was this really one of the first poems you recorded? It's very good. I do love to hear you read. I hope you still have more stored away somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No... thank you for liking it, Andrea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes it was, Sandy. And no need to be nice... It has some really horrible bits! I had recorded a couple of readings for the previous WFOL (2007), but they were not poems; I thought it would be equally simple but... I soon found out reading poetry out loud is a very different animal!
    Thanks for sticking with me, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL, I'm not being nice. I like it and I hear no "horrible bits," so hush :-P

    ReplyDelete